First, thank you to everyone who’s stopped by, commented on, or Stumbled my post on making your own energy bars. I appreciate your visiting and the many helpful suggestions you’ve provided. As of this writing, the post has been viewed by nearly 17,000 visitors, and half a dozen sites have linked to it; thanks!
Here are, in no particular order, a few notes, tips and updates:
- If you use chopped dates in the recipe, consider buying (whole) pitted dates and cutting them up. The chopped dates that are available in our market come with a dusting of granulated sugar – no need to add more sugar to the recipe! It only takes 3-4 minutes to chop up the appx. 15 dates required for a cup
- A few readers have commented on the use of light corn syrup and its questionable (read: horrible) nutritional value. Lately I’ve been experimenting with using 3/8 cup light corn syrup and 3/8 cup honey, and it works just fine – give it a try!
- The bars are done when their bottoms are just turning golden brown. At that point their tops will still be quite soft; take them out of the oven – they’re done! This equates to about 14 minutes with our oven; YMMV
- The bananas add a nice flavor. If you’re allergic to bananas, any sort of mashed fruit should work. Applesauce is also a good alternative
- PracticalHacks reader Jenn has made these bars with agave nectar as well as honey, and in her words, they turned out “sooooo good!” (see the comments to the original post)
Have fun and do some experimenting – and let us know how you make out! As always, if you like what you see here, please subscribe – just click on the orange RSS button above – it’s easy and free (for an explanation, if you’re unfamiliar with RSS, click on the “What’s that orange RSS button?” link above.
- Homemade energy bars: cheap, delicious, and surprisingly easy!
- Homemade beef jerky: tasty, easy and preservative-free; dehydrator not required
- Crash Hot Potatoes: utterly simple, absolutely delicious!
- Collect online recipes, plan your shopping with Plummelo
- Lazy Sunday French Toast
- Minimalist cooking: spicy roast chicken